Thursday 21 March 2013

DAY 53: Celebration

Amidst all the turmoil surrounding the Cypriot crisis, I’ve managed to fulfil another year on this planet.  The countdown begins, as I enter the final stages of the light-hearted thirties; a decade of maturity is lurking around the corner.

My son pounced on me this morning, eager for me to open my gift and read the ‘essay’ scribbled in my birthday card.  There was a childlike excitement in the home, and I chose not to dampen his spirit. After all, birthdays evoke feelings of enthusiasm, and even the Eurogroup’s demands were certainly not going to rain on my parade.
I ended up embracing my son’s elated tone, as we cuddled together on the bed, pretending to escape from the madness that was gripping the real world outside.

Celebrating a birthday or an anniversary is a wonderful experience when one is surrounded by the warmth of loving individuals.  Admittedly, I’ve been preoccupied with my hectic schedule of commitments that I almost forgot to acknowledge my own birthday.  But the continuous beeping sound emerging from my mobile phone, reminded me that a world of Facebook friends had been notified of my birthdate, extending their wishes for a healthy and prosperous year ahead.  I remain indebted.

I was determined to disclose a piece of optimistic news today; truthfully, I think we all need it, but I am required to hold the mute button for another week.  Acting on the rumour that one of Cyprus’ popular banks is heading for closure, I dashed off this morning to the nearest ATM, only to be greeted by a series of multiple crowds, threatening to throw the doors down.
I finally got my chance to use the cashpoint, withdrawing my daily limit – foolishly convincing myself that the money in my hand would act as a safety net in the event of an emergency.

My wife informed me that a tray of cupcakes were created by her precious hands in honour of my birthday.  All dieting (and banking) has been suspended until further notice, or at least until the celebration is over.   

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment