Tuesday 12 March 2013

DAY 44: Crisis

In the Old Testament, the Book of Job begins with an introduction to Job's character – he is described as a blessed man who lives righteously. God's praise of Job prompts Satan to challenge Job's integrity and suggesting that Job serves God simply because he protects him. God removes Job's protection, allowing Satan to take his wealth, his children, and his physical health in order to tempt Job to curse God.
Despite his difficult circumstances, he does not curse God, but rather curses the day of his birth. And although he protests his plight and pleads for an explanation, he stops short of accusing God of injustice.

Most of the book consists of conversations between Job and his three friends concerning Job's condition and its possible reasons, after which God responds to Job and his friends, opening his speech with the famous words, "Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me."
After God's reply, Job is overwhelmed and says, "I am unworthy – how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth."

Many interpretations read this as Job's realising how little he knew when he says to the Lord, "My ears had heard of you, but now my eyes have seen you."  Other scholars and readers, however, find this explanation unsatisfactory, since the problem of Job (the innocent man suffering at the hand of Satan) is not addressed. Job's response to God shows none of the anger, passion, or piety he demonstrated in the rest of the story, even when God does not give Job the direct answer he has demanded for much of the book. Then Job is restored to an even better condition than his former wealthy state.

Last night, as I finally retired from an eventful marathon of television shows, I lay on my bed thinking of the past and my current economic condition.  Admittedly, I was overwhelmed with a bout of self-pity, as my mind wandered off in multiple directions in search for my safety net.  I thought of my car accident, and the six months of hospital confinement; the overwhelming cost of having to transform a home into an obstacle course of handrails and ramps.  I must have drifted off into a temporary state of darkness, as a whirlpool of light pulled me back to reality when my wife applied her daily treatment of natural oils and creams, massaging the ointments into my leg – soothing the pain from the lymphedema.

Without any hint of ungratefulness, I was indebted to my Spiritual Father for sparing my life, and rewarding me an extension of time with my family.  I was willing to overlook all the disabilities which reminded me of that fateful afternoon, but lately, it seems that those incapacities have protracted their wings into my bank account, leaving me slightly penniless for all my obligations and extravagances.
I may not project the same strength as Job, or his tolerance of patience, but unfortunately I spent the last five minutes in bed questioning God’s motives, and even presence.  It was a brief moment of doubt – my personal crisis which translated to “fear of the unknown.”  Forgive me Father.

I’m not looking for a handsome lottery package – although one would be welcomed with open arms, moreover I am searching for a sense of security – one that will grant me economic freedom and an open road to continue a dieting programme – stress-free.

My only appeal to my Heavenly Father is that He realises my own plight, and rewards me accordingly.  Needless to say, if my fortune is more than I need, there will definitely be an early visit from Santa for those who really need it.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment