Monday 18 March 2013

DAY 50: Lifeline

I’ve been monitoring the news extensively throughout the day; Cyprus is on the brink of a financial war.  For the first time since my arrival on the island, I am at a loss for words. It’s a matter of “damned if you do – damned if you don’t.”  If Cyprus accepts the bailout plan with haircuts on all deposits, foreign investment will come to a standstill.  Should the government decide to reject this suicidal grooming, then all of Cyprus’ major banks will cease to exist.

I’m finding it difficult to accept Cyprus’ unfortunate economic position.  It seems that our small island has taken centre stage; the world is waiting eagerly for us to either turn off the machines, declaring our banking system penniless, or to literally “sell our souls to the devil,” surrendering entirely to the hands of a voracious group of individuals.

I was hoping that my bank could reassure me that my finances are protected, but the government has announced that all banks are to remain “closed for business” until Thursday.  Electronic banking has been suspended, the local ATM rejected my debit card and the Cyprus Stock Exchange is refusing to trade.

I intended my blog to be light-hearted, given that today is Green Monday and we should be outside celebrating; my son was flying his kite, directing its flight journey from the string in his hands.  It appeared to me that Cyprus was being manipulated by its own kite-flyers, leading the island into unknown territory.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment