Tuesday 19 March 2013

DAY 51: Black Tuesday

I’ve dubbed today “Black Tuesday” for many reasons; the dark colour describes the mood in the workplace – peculiar and dull.  There’s an uncomfortable silence – the quiet before the storm, as most of Cyprus waits ‘patiently’ for the government’s decision on their hopeless bailout plan.

As I drove to work this morning, the lifeless streets mirrored a scene from a horror movie; the winter chill was echoing the mood of a nation, chanting an eerie tune.  There were fewer people on the streets, and the crowds protesting outside the banks and town hall had reduced in number. 
Back at the workplace, my colleagues openly aired their concerns over the country’s rapid demise; hardly the clichéd postcard image of a “sunny Cyprus” or “the island of love.”

The thought of returning to South Africa was briefly addressed last night, but the escalating levels of violence and corruption reminded me why I left in the first place.  Perhaps I should exercise some patience, but as a child I was always taught to be observant of the signs.  Could the angels be transmitting messages of relocation?

I greeted my diet this morning with extreme caution. After all, if the government is concerned with budget cuts, then I should exercise the same with my eating programme; my breakfast of bran flakes and dried fruit was accompanied by a smaller dosage of low fat milk. 

I spent most of the morning following the news, working my way through the pending task list, responding to comments emailed from last night’s blog. 
A colleague from Leeds visited the office, answering my questions of a possible move to the United Kingdom.  She painted a realistic picture – one that tempted me to book a flight to London.  I’m not closing my doors to Cyprus, but I’m hoping to reverse the situation with a working home abroad and a holiday retreat in Cyprus.

So, after twelve years in Cyprus, I’ve resumed the hunt for a promising career overseas.  The outcome of tonight’s decision will determine how soon I get there.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame what has happened on this lovely island. Hopefully a reasonable solution will be found, but unfortunately the people's confidence in the government has been undermined.

    I've also entertained the thought of packing up my bags and heading back to the US, but I don't think that's the solution. The whole world is experiencing economic crisis. I'm hanging on to hopes that there is a promising future here in Cyprus.

    I'm keeping hopeful...

    ReplyDelete