Monday 11 March 2013

DAY 43: Seventh Heaven

I started my morning on a positive note, reminding my wife of my regular Monday evening appointment in front of the giant screen in our living room.  Tonight’s line-up includes the anticipated return of the Revenge saga, The Walking Dead, and the season finale of Mr Selfridge.  It’s going to be another late night – a repeat of Sunday’s schedule; I cemented my body to the couch last night, following an eight-part miniseries on the life of Edward II.

I noticed the state of the living room this morning as I made my way down the stairs, heading to the kitchen.  Remnants of last night’s binging flurry and empty mugs of tea scattered around the coffee table, reminded me of my eight hour immobility.  My wife was beginning to clear the evidence, referring to my slothfulness and the unforgivable state of the house. 
I returned to the kitchen, listening to her repeated echo as she persevered through her list of grievances and complaints.

I reached for my bowl of bran flakes – tucking into the crunchy blend of dried fruit and sunflower seeds, coated with a delightful stream of low fat milk. I was drifting into seventh heaven, identifying with the woman on the cereal box; her eyes were closed as she embraced a spoonful of bran into her mouth, suggesting some type of food orgy.
But reality entered the room holding a garbage bag and a mouthful of requirements (in high definition) – implying that my ignorance would encourage total damnation.

I found it difficult to focus through my arduous tasks at work, as the image of my wife constantly flashed through my subconscious, instilling a painful feeling of guilt.  I could see her standing before me, garbage bag in hand, as she pleaded for assistance with the tedious housework chores.
Admittedly, I surrendered to this guilt, and decided to make her life easier.

It’s going to be a wonderful evening of entertainment; I’ve just called my wife informing her that yesterday’s leftovers will suffice, freeing up her time to join me as we kick-start the evening’s festivities, earlier than scheduled.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment