Friday 1 March 2013

DAY 33: Fridays

It’s the most anticipated day of the week.  For many of us, it marks the beginning of a two day rest period – an opportunity to excuse oneself from the drumming madness of daily ritual.  There are some people who use this significant day to update themselves with the latest blockbuster, as Fridays are usually appointed to showcase a new release.  Others head off to the supermarket, furnishing their fridges with tasty nibbles for an eventful weekend of excessive eating.

I’m particularly fond of Friday evening, as it awards me the merited chance to unwind from an agonising day of appointments, meetings and deadlines – eager for that moment when the formal attire returns to the cupboard on a coat hanger, and I become one with the couch until the early hours of Saturday morning.

Today marks an important event in the Lambis calendar; my father celebrates his birthday with an intimate evening at home, surrounded by his offspring.  My mother has confined herself within the home, preparing an extravagant selection of baked goods: chocolate chiffon – drizzled with flakes of dark chocolate, moist carrot muffins – glazed with an angelic white icing, traditional Greek pie – bursting with a mouth-watering mixture of Feta cheese and spinach and a large helping of strawberries – simmered in sweet sherry and fine sugar.

I’m a firm believer of first impressions.  If I subject myself to an evening of glamorous overindulgence, I am bound to continue on this ‘tsunami’ for the rest of the month.  Truthfully, my mother’s incomparable selection is one I cannot avoid, so I’m off to my father’s celebration with intent to do bodily harm. 
I have two days to overcome Friday’s revolution before Monday greets me again, encouraging me to return to a healthy eating plan.

T.G.I.F.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment