Saturday 9 March 2013

DAY 41: Saturday Night Fever

What we choose to do with our weekends is entirely up to us.  Admittedly, my Saturdays and Sundays have allowed me the opportunity to eliminate those unfinished tasks dangling on my pending list.  It’s a terrible routine, but if I did not utilise these two opportune days, I would kick-start my Mondays with a severe headache.

Despite the casual characteristics which define these two days, there is also a dark side which invites a stream of temptations into the home; Saturday morning’s ritual is synonymous with Friday, but as midday sneaks in, a wave of temptations and cravings follow through.  We scrounge around the house looking for a yummy treat that will please the grumbling monster in our stomachs. 
Unmindful of the harm produced, we naively continue into the late afternoon, supressing the pains with chocolate cookies and a generous tub of caramel coated popcorn.

Retreating to the couch in a self-inflicted coma, we pursue our obsessive eating disorders well into the night, as the evening’s entertainment inspires a new wave of subconscious eating: your hand moves rhythmically in a robotic fashion, transporting a salted sensation of crisps from bowl to mouth.  Catatonically, one is unaware that the body is shivering from exhaustion – encouraging a new type of Saturday Night Fever – one that includes an hour in the bathroom with an unforgivable volcanic eruption.  Forgive my crudeness.

So how does one balance work and play? I believe it’s up to the individual to draw the line – identifying when to stop.  Round up the family for an entertaining board game or an exhilarating visit to the movies.  Plan a get-together with a warm group of friends, or even suggest a daring evening of bumper cars and rollercoaster rides.  If I surrender my emotions to an unlawful lifestyle, prioritising work and emotional eating over what really matters, more than likely I’ll wake up one morning realising it’s too late.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment