Monday 25 February 2013

DAY 29: Work

It’s extremely difficult trying to adapt at work after one week of absence.  You arrive in the morning, only to be greeted by a catastrophic pile of pending issues, papers scattered across your desk, and the luminous coloured posts pinned on the forehead of every memo or worksheet.

It took me approximately one hour before I could curl my anomalous figure out of bed this morning, reluctant to start the daybreak rituals.  But, after a sluggish twenty minutes, I found myself consuming a bowl of cereal, glued to the networks – updating myself on all the happenings around the world.

Thankfully, after five years of ‘communist’ ideals, Cyprus elected a democratic president – eager to embark on his economic and political detoxification process of the island. 
Anne Hathaway had deservedly won an Oscar for her portrayal of Fontaine in Les Miserables, and South African Oscar Pistorius was heading off to court to appeal the harsh conditions of his bail which were set down by chief Magistrate Desmond Nair in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Friday.

It was an eventful morning, as I faced my own trial of dieting – bravely confronting the scales as I took a deep breath and stared at my body mass, blinking loudly across the digital screen. 
Despite the intense dosage of antibiotics, cortisones and inhalers (my poor body was subjected to in the past week), I managed to maintain my weight during my healing period.
Admittedly, I used my sickness as an excuse to ingest more liquids and carbohydrates, but the reality is that I am feeling much better, and the extra slice of bread (needed to withstand the antibiotic) will have to be omitted from the diet.

The week ahead is challenging.  I have welcomed two more work colleagues (from China) into our Marketing group – a positive sign that business is on the increase. 
I started rehearsing for my London debut, polishing every aspect of my one-man comedy show.
My calendar has just informed me that two of my favourite television series will air their latest episodes tonight, and I am trying to decide if a box of light digestive biscuits will see me through the evening, or a cold serving of Greek yoghurt with honey and sunflower seeds.

Either way you look at it, Monday sets the tone for the rest of the week.  I’ll let you know what type of week is in store for me tomorrow.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com


No comments:

Post a Comment