Wednesday 13 February 2013

DAY 17: False Advertising

How many times are we lured into buying something – basing our decision entirely on the image portrayed on the packaging?
For example, the “Instant Cake Mix” at the local supermarket, displays a flawless vanilla sponge cake, drizzled with a layer of syrup-drenched Maraschino cherries.  And what’s even more convincing, are the contented faces of the children, observing their mother as she attempts to take a slice of her ‘mammoth’ creation.
Needless to say, the final product of your cake mix looks nothing like the advertised image; you end up spending the rest of your afternoon cleaning the worthless mess in your kitchen – cursing dreadfully.

As an experienced advertiser and ‘marketeer’, I found myself on the receiving end of the stick this morning, and admittedly was not impressed.  My wife purchased a box of underwear for me – the “XXL” size could not have been more visible on the packaging, as was the picture of a robust male, flexing his muscles.
After an excruciating three minutes, and incalculable attempts to stretch the pair of underwear from one end of the room to the other, I slipped into my new briefs, looking nothing like the image on the box. 
Standing in front of my full length mirror, I stared at my whopping reflection – feeling angry and threatened at the same time. 
My wife tried to console me by complimenting my weight loss, but all I could think of was David Beckham, and his newly launched advertising campaign for H & M. 
Beckham complimented his new line of underwear by saying, “it’s a true reflection of what every man wants to wear.” 
“Well David, let me know if this is a true reflection of the image conjured up in your mind, when you were designing your line of clothing?”

I have invested in a plethora of dieting books over the years.  One of these books (written by an American-Greek nutritionist), deals with the psychological aspects of dieting.  “It’s important to take all your negative emotions, and transform them into positive and motivational feelings.”
Easier said than done, when all I wanted to do was contact the manufacturing clothing company, and sue them for every damn penny!
It’s not their fault that I am ‘slightly’ overweight, but I would appreciate a more realistic approach when advertising an “XXL” size of briefs. 
Don’t use an undersized, malnourished model to represent my group of people – thoughtless bastards!

I’m on an advertising protest.  I am seriously reconsidering my approach to conveying the message, and I encourage you all to do the same.  It’s time we all took a stand against the false advertising which exists out there… 
My first target is McDonalds.  The double cheeseburger advertised on every damn billboard in Cyprus is not a true representation of the final product.  And as for the “100% pure beef” message, screaming across the top left corner – I’ll leave that to your imagination.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online, visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment