Monday 11 February 2013

DAY 15: Food for Thought

There are approximately six thousand South African families living on the island of Cyprus.  A staggering number – most of which chose to leave South Africa due to the escalating crime rate.  The majority of these fellow countrymen opted for a better future, naively hoping that the grass would be greener on the other side.

It pains me to start my working week with a slightly negative tone (after all, my weight reflected another three kilos off my back, and I should be popping the champagne), but I find myself concerned about the future of my island.  With presidential elections looming nearby, the office discussion surrounds itself around three mediocre candidates, and what each one can do for their country.

I have chosen to look at the smaller picture, and focus on my hometown Pafos.  What appealed to me when I first decided to rest my paws here was the diversity of the town, and the fact that almost everyone chose to speak English.  Pafos is a town that can boast a scenic splendour; from the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean and the mountainous terrain, to the carefree lifestyle and low crime rate, this exceptional beauty remains a hidden gem, and is the envy of all who do not reside there. 

But lately my perception remains distorted. Driving through the town on my way to work, I am overwhelmed by the number of vacant shops, pleading with cries of availability.   I counted thirteen this morning – located on a main street, and what was once considered the hub of Pafos.

I appreciate that Cyprus is an island, and that its main revenue is generated from its flourishing tourism industry (especially in the summer), but what surprised me the most was the fascinating number of kiosks which lined both sides of the road, competing against the other for the same piece of the pie. 
Is it really necessary to have an overabundance of convenience stores, offering the same product?  Where’s the variety?  And who decides what type of store should go where?  Should we blame the economic crisis, or the inexperienced town planning?

Pafos has recently been acknowledged as the “Cultural Capital of Europe 2017” – a wonderful incentive for my hometown.  I firmly believe that the title rightfully belongs to this culturally-enriched municipality, but I am finding it difficult to absorb the reality of empty shops and lack of motivation.

I’ve recently been on about how wonderful my New Year’s Eve experience was in London.  Paging through the Hello magazine, I noticed a wonderful spread of celebrations, and how cities from around the world welcomed the New Year.  There’s a stereotypical list: Australia, China, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London and New York.  How about putting Cyprus on the map?
Instead of competing against Limassol for the carnival, why can’t Pafos host a magical New Year’s Eve “Fireworks Extravaganza” with the astonishing Pafos castle as its backdrop?  All eyes would descend on this magnificent part of the world and give credit to us as a “Cultural Capital.”

And whoever sits behind the desk at the ‘Town Planning’ office, perhaps they should reconsider their job description and do something about the appalling state of the town.  Start off by renovating the old market, and introduce a programme of weekend events – exciting activities to draw the local crowds, similar to Covent Garden.

How about a Winter Wonderland or at least a ‘Christmas Village’ where we can spend an afternoon in the public park, celebrating the excitement of warm soup, salted pretzels and traditional Cypriot honey balls.  One could even imagine a multi-cultural food hall, sampling the diverse tastes from all the communities Pafos has embraced.

And finally, a large centrepiece that greets you upon arrival to this unique part of Cyprus.  As one enters the town, the inexcusable display of poorly-printed signage at the roundabout, could be replaced by a mosaic wall of history – capturing the essence of what Pafos really stands for; a town of beauty, so much that the goddess of love chose to live here.

Perhaps we could also alter the mindset a little.  A coffee shop opening on the corner does not necessarily imply that there should be one directly opposite.   One should consider opening up within a kilometre radius in order to ensure one’s success.  That way, competition is considered fair, and we will not be forced to play dominoes with seventeen kiosks on one street. 

I firmly believe that there is enough business for everyone – we just need to be clever about how we go about it.  But then again, we also need to appoint the right candidate to guide us through the process. 

Are there any leaders out there?

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul


Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online, visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment