Wednesday 6 February 2013

DAY 10: Flashback

The alarm clock greeted us this morning with its regular maddening chant.  Caught in mid-sleep, we subconsciously reached for the ‘snooze’ button until it reminded us that 'routine' loomed ahead.
What set this morning apart from all the others, were the sounds which emerged from the radio as I fortuitously hit the music station. 
“Forever young, I want to be forever young…”

Songs from the 80s.  As I lay in bed listening to the radio, I drifted into another era – one that stirred up feelings of comfort, joy, reassurance and happiness.  Positive emotions, encouraging me to sing along; I greeted my morning with a contented outlook.   
There were mixed emotions in the Lambis household.  My son was screaming from the other end of the house, ordering me to keep the peace.  My wife pulled the duvet over her head, hoping to absorb any last minute silence before she too, would have to get up and embrace the day.

The songs continued for another twenty minutes.  A melodious blend of Alphaville, Tina Turner, The Bangles and Gloria Gaynor – abruptly transferring me to a quiet place at my childhood home (where I had spent most of my afternoons).  I could hear my mother and grandmother, two generations of incredible women, preparing the evening meal; a beautiful marriage of warm oven-baked bread, drizzled in olive oil and dusted with home-grown oregano. Fried aubergines – lightly salted, a vibrant Greek salad, snow-capped with creamy Feta cheese, and finally, slow-cooked lamb – embraced in a secret blend of rosemary and spices; a cornucopia of colourful flavours. 

My thoughts transferred me to my school in Johannesburg, where the sound of the ringing bell awakened my senses to curry mince rolls and sticky toffee pudding (from the school's cafeteria).  I could taste the warm apple pie, complimented by a round of vanilla ice-cream, when my father treated us to a Sunday afternoon at the local diner.  I was encouraging my mind to recall the taste of my mother’s mouth-watering chicken pie.

I was soaring above the clouds, associating everything to food.  Unfortunately, a bowl of muesli did not look appetizing at all for breakfast, and a protein shake was certainly not going to fill the void.  I reached for two slices of whole wheat bread and cemented them together with a slice of light cheese and turkey.  After a few seconds in the microwave, a heavenly product emerged, sizzling on my taste buds. 
I was forced to shift my calorie intake around for the day.  Lunch became breakfast, and breakfast will become lunch.  Hopefully, it will not make any difference to the daily calorie count, but if it does, it was certainly worth the flashback and all the wonderful memories. 

I miss my grandmother...

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul


Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online, visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment