Sunday 24 February 2013

DAY 28: Mr. Selfridge

Every time I think of London – the most remarkable city on the face of Mother Earth, I inherit a paranormal smile, a warm sense of belonging. 
I posted a calendar-countdown on my desktop last night, observing the days to my upcoming London performance; approximately 120 days until the Paul Lambis Comedy Shows grace the stage at the Dugdale Theatre in Enfield.

A member of my production team paid me a visit yesterday, following up on a tip that the show would include more props and new dialogue.  I reassured her that this was not the case, as we both kicked back on the couch and chatted about odds and ends.
One of the many things we have in common is our fanatical addiction to Downton Abbey, and the horrifying finale of season three which left us all wondering, “what now?”
As we spent the afternoon sipping tea, reminiscing London and its plethora of sights and sounds, the topic of Selfridges emerged, and my experience at London’s finest food halls.

Selfridges is located in the western end of Oxford Street. Voted one of the best department stores in the world, this high end shopping experience offers everything from toys to fashion, music to food. 
It was on my second visit to Selfridges when I experienced my first ‘pie orgasm’; a wonderful mixture of the finest beef, caressed by warm textured gravy, covered by the flakiest pastry and served with a generous portion of mushy peas and fries.
But that’s not all.  The glorious buffet of food presents a unique selection of Chinese cuisine, Italian pastas, Greek lamb, traditional fish and chips, and an oriental mix of vegetarian foods, mystified by their own blend of herbs and spices.

As I continued to share my passion for food, and my fixation for anything British, my friend remained flabbergasted as I denied any following of a television series titled Mr. Selfridge.
“You don’t watch Mr. Selfridge?
“No.”
My negative answer offended her.  After establishing my reasons of being unaware of the shows existence, she continued to explain the essence of the series, and the deep history immersed within the Selfridge phenomenon.

On the outside, Selfridges appeared to be another brilliant store located in London’s busiest shopping ‘Mecca’.  But the truth emerged that this exceptional building set the standards of shopping around the world, offering the consumer a tangible shopping experience, introducing women’s perfume counters at the entrance of the store (intended to distract the potential buyer from the miserable smells emitted on the streets), and displaying captivating scientific and art exhibits in order to promote and market the store.
Mr. Selfridge, a pioneer of the times, conveyed a message of marketing brilliance, giving birth to the theory, “the customer is always right.”

I managed to download the first of seven episodes, and what was meant to be quality time with the family on a Saturday evening, transpired into an animated journey of London in the early 1900s.

I convinced my wife to share in my new discovery, and thankfully, she complied.  We both escaped to the same energetic world, sharing the vision of a brand builder who after all, came from a poor background and built himself an empire.
We all have dreams and aspirations.  I often grumble that our talents are limited until we receive an opportunity that sets them in motion. 

Mr. Selfridge, thank you for making me believe that everything is possible, it’s only a matter of time.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment