Saturday 9 February 2013

DAY 13: Technology

I’m alive.  I woke up this morning to another great view of Pafos from my bedroom window.  As I stepped outside to admire the attractiveness, I was reminded that winter was still upon us; the frost covered hills were contrasting blissfully against the cool Mediterranean blue, reminding me somehow of the opening scene from The Sound of Music.  Thankfully, my work colleague’s predictions were off the chart and we did not meet the fate of the supposed meteor, heading for Mother Earth.

The weekends are always filled with promise.  It’s ironic that we spend the entire working week, fighting against the alarm clock for that extra minute; yet, when Saturday graces us with its presence, the race against time is almost forgotten. 
My wife and I spent the first part of the morning making plans: breakfast at Costa Coffee, shopping for school shoes, a possible visit to the picturesque harbour, or even a trip to the snow-capped mountains of Cyprus.

But reality entered the room; my son emerged, engrossed within a high-pitched game on his electronic device.  Our chat reverted to a one-sided affair.  Questions were answered with a series of rehearsed “umms” and “aahs,” as he pursued some ‘villain’ on his gadget.   An infuriating and vigorous tapping ensued, as my wife continued the conversation.

For a brief moment, our world was euphoric. In an instant snap, the bubble burst and all that remained was a rebellious teenager who had his own definition of quality time.  An outdoor excursion appeared to be “lame,” yet, an afternoon of sheer sluggishness, justified his “hard week at school.”
I was labelled “embarrassing,” and an outdoor excursion was simply “not the appropriate thing to do with the folks.”

So when did all of this change?   Has the concept of ‘family time’ dissolved?  Back in the 80s, we leaped at the chance of an afternoon outing with my parents.  My father was always at work, so it was considered a rare treat to be accompanied by both mom and dad.  I even recalled challenging my father to a high score on the Pacman machine, and not complaining when my three chances were over. 
“Go on, have another go,” my father would reply, as he reached into his pocket for another coin.  Elated, my sister and I would hover over the arcade game until it was time for a crispy waffle, topped with vanilla ice-cream and thick, golden syrup.

Perhaps we have Technology to blame for this relationship breakdown.  Imagine flaunting a pocket-sized Playstation in front of your peers, back then?  One would probably end up being the most popular person at school. 
But, does this mean we should be more tolerant of our children?  Should we allow this new age of Technology to overpower our quality time?
An acclaimed nutritionist once stated, “Everything in moderation.”  If this is the case, then we shouldn’t have to diet.  We should embrace each day with an open menu, as long as our intake is minimal. 
But are our children prepared to limit their videogame intake?

So, it’s a new day, and a new rule.  Technology will have to take a backseat as the entire family is off to the mountains. 
“Cheer up, my boy.  It’s a two hour drive to the top; enough to listen to Abba’s Greatest Hits, and the entire soundtrack of Dirty Dancing.”

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul


Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online, visit www.paul-lambis.com

3 comments:

  1. Read with interest! But, isn't only the parents' values or morals, who have "moved" the goal posts, when it comes to the spoilt children of this world! Why, can't boundaries remain in tact and also be respected. Why do we compromise?

    Sarah Louise Strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. · ..a must read :)

    Theano Exadaktylou Jacovou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology has its place, but well done for getting up the troodos

    Brian Webbe

    ReplyDelete