Friday 22 February 2013

DAY 26: Crime

Oscar Pistorius has been released on bail at the end of an intense hearing which has gripped South Africa and the world.
There was no sign of joy from the Olympian and Paralympian who continued to sob and looked plunged into despair as the magistrate read out his decision.
But there were smiles of relief from Pistorius's family, who gathered in a circle to pray, and a shout of "yes!" from friends who leaped to their feet in the charged courtroom.

I followed most of the ‘trial’ this afternoon from my mobile phone, observing the stream of tweets flowing across my screen.
“I’m relieved, but it’s a long road ahead for Oscar...”
“Let’s not forget the victim...”
“The judge is corrupt!”
“Oscar is not a murderer – it was a huge mistake.”
As I continued to observe the endless flow of mixed emotions, I sat back thinking of my home South Africa, and the day I said goodbye...

South Africa is one of the most magical places on earth.  It's an astonishing country, blessed with panoramic beauty and wonderful, hospitable people.  But let’s not forget that South Africa is plagued by ruinous crime statistics – some of which echo the aftermath of a civil war.
I often compare my exodus to that of a refugee; we left South Africa to avoid the escalating crime rate, and certainly not by choice.

So when ignorant golfing estates (such as the one where Oscar Pistorius’ home is located), post a comment on their website bragging about their ‘security’, one should remind them that in South Africa, anything is possible.

Speaking from experience, I lived in a ‘secure’ townhouse complex on the outskirts of Johannesburg with twenty-four hour security.  I woke up one morning to find my car stolen, with no forced entry into the estate, and our security guard at the gated entrance – signing a visitor in.  When I questioned if he had seen or heard anything, he remained oblivious to what had happened.  Our investigation later proved that it had been an inside-job, despite management turning a blind eye to the vulnerability of our security system.

The South African judicial system finally came under the spotlight, flaunting their amateur acting skills in the presence of the world’s media.  Bravo!
Oscar’s bail hearing mirrored the OJ Simpson trial – I can only imagine what these corrupt actors have in store for the Olympian when the real trial starts in June.

Oscar did not deny killing Reeva – he claims it was an accident.  The South African Judicial system has managed to use Oscar as a chess piece, demonstrating their zero tolerance for murderers.  Why is it then, that my friend’s murderer was released on a mere 250 rand (25 euro) bail, only to be charged with another murder a week later? 

Oscar my friend, unfortunately it will not be a short road.  It’s typical that when you are at your peak, the world will cheer for your success.  But when you are at your worst, they are ready to bury you.  Be strong – you are still a beacon of hope for all those who have experienced some form of disability. 
I don’t believe your killing Reeva was intentional.  After all, you had so much going for you; sponsors, endorsements, success...  You will rise up again.

Please don’t prove us wrong...

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment