Thursday 25 April 2013

DAY 88: Learning to walk, again

In 2008, I was involved in a near-fatal road accident which left me bedridden for six months.  Confined to a hospital bed, entangled in a yoke of tubes and bandages, the endless hours would tease me with their patience.  In fact, the unanimous verdict delivered by the gaggle of doctors suggested no hint of hope for walking again.

As I tried to absorb the harsh reality of paralysis, my mind began to play its own game of readjustment; the road ahead appeared bleak, and the thought of returning home to an obstacle course of railings and ramps frightened me. 
The challenge of this “unknown world” was made easier by the support of a united family – each member playing their part to pave the way for my stress-free transition.  

Admittedly, there were moments of uncertainty where the frustration of my ‘imprisonment’ suggested barriers and closed doors.  But the comforting reassurance of my family, encouraging me to ignore any and all negativity, inspired me to rediscover a hidden strength to learn how to walk again.

To this day, my life-changing experience continues to haunt me.  I constantly recall moments from my ordeal – a series of flashbacks which enter my mind photographically; the squealing sounds of a hospital bed, my sleep interrupted by the prick of a needle, the force of the weights, leisurely pulling my leg into place.  But it's the comment made by an inexperienced doctor, advising my father to purchase a wheelchair which echoes harshly in my mind.  I recall his words, embedding themselves like sharp, serrated knives: “Your son will never be able to walk again.”

Driving home from the hospital, my father turned and looked at me.  His commanding voice would not allow for any self-pity.  His confidence became an oath – a commitment made by my father to prove this incompetent doctor wrong. 
His (my father’s) visits included a follow-up on compulsory exercises recommended by the physiotherapist.  As I continued to assure myself (and my father) of my improvement, our mutual perseverance finally branded us the victors of our own war.

It was a YouTube video which motivated my blog this morning.  As I made my way through the updates on my timeline, I discovered a post from a friend which encouraged me to watch this inspirational story. Having viewed it, I was reminded of my own battle, and the extraordinary faith shown by my father – his confidence which made me believe that everything is possible. 

To view the video, follow the link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=494127820642845

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment