Sunday 14 April 2013

DAY 77: Animal Cruelty

When I was growing up in South Africa, I was fortunate enough to have had a pedigree Rottweiler as a pet.  My beautiful dog was constantly by my side, protecting our domain; his handsome black coat was a result of fine grooming, while his strapping, outsized body was ‘largely’ due to a combination of veterinarian-approved, quality dog food and the leftovers from my mother’s Mediterranean cooking.

For many years, my pet Rottweiler was an asset to the family; announcing the arrival of visitors at the gate, used as a tool to dispel the uninvited, and earning his stripes through a series of exhibitions and shows.  My Rottweiler had certainly earned my respect and acknowledgement as a “member of the family.”

I have always displayed a fondness for home pets.  However, this morning I came very close to murdering my annoying neighbour’s terrier.
May the Almighty forgive my brutal thoughts; waking up on a Sunday at six in the morning to the sound of a barking dog and its irritatingly-worse owner, is hardly an incentive to jump out of bed with a boost of positive energy.

Perhaps my frustration should be directed to the retired neighbour whose selfish behaviour does not inspire an ounce of consideration for us working few.  After all, what is the hound expected to do in the presence of two stray arguing felines.
But my temper could not see the reasoning behind the neighbour’s ignorance, thereby supporting me to open the sliding door and deliver a high-pitched lecture on consideration.
The terrier was summoned back into the house through the back door, and after the resonating sound of a slammed door [my own], normality returned to the neighbourhood for another three hours.

Admittedly, I could hear the distant echo of the terrier’s cries emerging from within the home; the thought of brutality entered my mind as my thoughts channeled to the kitchen draw where the carving knife rested.

My unfortunate thoughts however, were partly due to the disturbing images I had seen on Facebook a few nights ago, when a friend posted photographs of the barbaric rituals commonly practiced on dogs in China. 
In a grim Chinese tradition, the animals are chopped up and cooked in front of diners – despite a growing anti-cruelty campaign. A group of Chinese activists in Yulin City, Guangxi province, descended on the dog meat market campaigning against eating the animals.

While many Chinese enjoy rich dog meat, especially during cold winters, some object to the practice in some regions of beating dogs to death to release the blood into the meat.  When food is scarce, dogs are eaten as an emergency food source around China in a practice which is seen as socially acceptable.

As the country becomes more affluent, a growing number of families are buying dogs as pets, fuelling the growing campaign against animal cruelty.
In April, more than five hundred dogs set to be slaughtered were saved when the truck they were being carried in to the slaughterhouse was intercepted by activists.
Many of the creatures had barely survived their terrible ordeal, having endured cramped conditions and a lack of water during their near one thousand mile journey by road. But rescue came too late for some of the dogs which had succumbed to dehydration and exposure.

After careful consideration, I have decided to overlook the terrier’s annoying cries; my neighbour, however, will not be pardoned.  I’m patiently waiting for her to walk over to my side of the fence and apologise for her self-centeredness.  Unfortunately, the day has transpired and my neighbour has yet to make an appearance.
I’m hoping my frightful screams have inspired seclusion from the outside world.  If this is the case, then it’s going to be a wonderful week.

Disclaimer: No animals were harmed during the writing of this blog.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment