Friday 12 April 2013

DAY 75: "Iceberg Ahead!"

The last few days have seen an influx of dramas and documentaries bombarding our television screens – focusing on the doomed voyage of the Titanic.  From James Cameron’s epic masterpiece, to the National Geographic’s “Titanic: 100 Years” documentary, the networks have ensured that the viewer has acquired enough information to put together an encyclopaedia on the sinking ship.

Having exhausted all options on the telly, I reverted to the local networks for a quick update on the infamous Cypriot bailout.  And after re-confirming my fears that the Cyprus government has totally hit its own iceberg, one cannot help but wonder what time our own ship will sink.

Back at the work place, the sombre mood prevails as the promised date for salaries has been ignored.  And with the banks implementing new rules to suit their own agendas, I return to my home on a Friday night, grief-stricken from the icy chill that has burdened my pockets.  The waters are still, but my mind is constantly referring to the colossal iceberg ahead.

I’m willingly confessing that part of my weekend will be spent on the couch, self-pitying my financial downfall; a dreamy dose of “Sour Cream and Onion Pringles” will certainly allow me to escape from my troubles, even for a brief moment.  But, as soon as the reality bites back into my mind, I will either have to replenish my hunger with another high-calorie treat, or opt for another session of DVD-marathons – with a chance to watch my favourite movie, Notting Hill.

Titanic’s fate was decided by a small group of big-headed individuals who felt that speed would be the ‘icing’ on their over-luxurious vessel; arriving ahead of schedule would prove to the world that their “unsinkable ship” was also “fast.”
The calm waters of the North Atlantic reassured them [the crew] that the RMS Titanic had nothing to worry about, but little did they know that it was “the quiet before the storm.”

I’m appealing to the Cyprus government to push the breaks and pause for a moment; the calm waters are about to get icy, and the casualty list will be far greater than that of the Titanic’s.
In the same light, a casual encounter on the couch might provide some comfort and reassurance, but only for a brief moment.  The iceberg ahead is warning me of a possible collision – on both accounts.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment