Saturday 20 April 2013

DAY 83: A Midsummer Night's Dream

For a brief moment, I found myself wandering through the forest, mesmerised by the enchanting and melodious cries of the fairies.  A story of true love began to unfold before me as the innocent Hermia refused to follow her father Egeus’ instructions to marry Demetrius; Hermia was in love with Lysander.

The romantic comedy, staged by an aspiring group of students, inspired me to escape from the dramas of the outside world; the forest was, after all, the perfect hideaway.  And, somewhere between the props and the passionate adaptations from this adventurous group of teenagers, my niece 'Hyppolita' emerged, delivering her lines flawlessly. 

I’ve always been a Shakespearean at heart with an appetite for romantic comedies.  So when my niece invited me to her school’s production of William Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” my attendance was unquestionable.  My only prerequisite was for a sturdy chair, strong enough to support my epic figure; the embarrassing thought of me ice-skating along the polished wooden floors with a half-broken plastic garden chair during the performance, would certainly motivate the audience to divert their attention onto me. 

After an inspiring hour of Shakespearean lingo, the finale was greeted with a merry ovation from the crowds – some of them applauding enthusiastically, although one could easily identify the cheers of appreciation emerging from those who were overcome by the exhaustion of word-weariness; the creative dialect demands an individual’s undivided attention, although the drama teacher made every effort to integrate a more modern translation of events through an intelligently original narration.

The drive back home included my own version of Shakespearean tongue; my son’s aggravated expression was evident through the rear-view mirror, as I continued to preach repetitively.  My wife remained still, ignoring my immaturity – her mind focused on her bed, eager for a well-deserved rest.

Back in the bedroom, my indecisiveness of book choice was apparent through my mountainous selection of literature, towering above the nightstand.  Caught between the “Fifty Shades of Grey” and Tilly Bagshawe’s “Fabulous,” I opted for my android, selecting a one-hour session of rain-and-thunder sound effects, transporting the mind, body and soul to blissful sleep.

Pleasant Dreams.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment