Wednesday 3 April 2013

DAY 66: Confessions of a Mad Man

I decided to play the part of the obedient bill payer.  I contacted my bank, hoping to confirm that my monthly salary had finally made its way into my personal account.  After all, an account with available funds would automatically ensure payment of utility bills.  But, the aftermath of the economic tsunami reconfirmed that my wages were trapped in my employer’s bank account – “frozen until further notice.”

During my conversation with the bank’s consultant, I sensed a gloomy undertone emerging from the receiving end.  I had just spent the last five minutes worrying about my own lack-of-funds dilemma, unmindful of the fact that the consultant’s own job would soon face the guillotine.
She continued to reassure me by pardoning my unfortunate inability to meet my monthly obligations.

I found it difficult to maintain a calm outlook on the current situation; a rage began to filter through my blood, presenting an unfamiliar madness – unbeknown to me.  I felt the urge to blame those self-centred people who had plunged the country into an abyss of debt.  I needed to unleash the anger that was suppressed deep within my subconscious.  

The motivation levels at work are a disgrace.  My colleagues arrive at the workplace, fuming over some announcement made on the radio.  Others have withdrawn from the social scene, as depression emanates from their facial expressions.  I have invaded the search engines, eager to spot a glimmer of hope.  Yet, the messages of hardship continue to knock at the front door, reminding us that the years ahead are inescapably difficult.

I feel the need to confess my own madness.  If I were given the opportunity to voice my opinion openly, I would point fingers in many directions, naming individuals who I believe should be publicly ridiculed, and ‘torched’ if necessary; those gluttonous fat cats who managed to stash their loot in Swiss bank accounts, hoping for Cyprus to exit the Euro, revert to the Cypriot Pound, and re-invest their treasures back into the island.  Those infamous businessmen who portray themselves as compassionate charity cases, yet their drive for materialistic possessions are always at the expense of others.

Perhaps the time has come for a modern-day Robin Hood hero to return to Sherwood Forest and stir the pot a little – or a lot.  The Prince of Thieves’ antics of “stealing from the rich to give to the poor” were deemed unethical, but one has to admit there is certainly a method to his madness.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment