Tuesday 2 April 2013

DAY 65: Laugh Yourself Slim

“If you don’t laugh at life, life will laugh at you.” – Paul Lambis

The above statement refers to my outlook on life, and my belief that laughter works as a remedy on its own. 
One of the messages emerging from the economic turmoil illustrating Cyprus at the moment is our inability to laugh.  Nick Squires, a reporter for The Telegraph, wrote an article depicting Cyprus as “the island that has forgotten how to laugh.”
But, it’s not only Cyprus that has “forgotten” how to exercise this constructive emotion; it seems the entire world has ignored its practice, eager to cast blame on others when error has taken centre stage.  Anger and violence have always dominated the news, with reporters seeking to deliver the light-hearted updates at the end of every bulletin.

As an experienced dieter (although not qualified from the university of ‘success’), laughter is a known cure for losing weight.  Granted – exercise and lower food intake are vital contributors, but emotional optimism could encourage a further weight loss of up to five kilograms in three months; a good, strong laugh for fifteen minutes a day increases weekly energy consumption by up to 280 calories.

Almost every slimming programme is accompanied by its own set of rules – the do’s and don’ts of dieting – to ensure a successful aftermath.  I’ve often wondered why my dietician has never recommended laughter in his stringent plan.  Could it be that he visualises me as a cash point and that if I lost weight too quickly, I would no longer be considered a monthly source of income?

Social exercising is another great way to encourage positive mental inspiration. Training with friends will stimulate further weight loss as opposed to keeping fit on your own; the individual maintains motivation by exercising socially and benefits from mutual encouragement and laughter.

I’ve also been advised to listen to classical music while eating.  According to my nutritionist, the musical interludes of Bach and Vivaldi will inspire me to consume less, as my mastication will synchronise itself to the tempo of the composers.  The result of this exercise will halt my excessive eating habits, sending messages to the brain that “there’s no room for more.”

“Have more sex!”
I was laughing for at least ten minutes when my nutritionist blurted the above statement.  It’s a common case scenario that all married couples end up as roommates, sharing the household duties and expenses.  I’m not denying that my wife and I share an amazing passion, but our current lifestyle could be compared to two ships, passing through the night.
As workaholics, our lives are besieged by the commitment to meet our obligations, and an evening shared on the couch in front of the telly is considered a rare treat.
But despite the obstacles put forward by the gods, I believe the time has come for us to leap over the hurdles; that way we can look back at all our impediments and enjoy the final laugh!
 
Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment