Monday 8 April 2013

DAY 71: Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall.
Humpty Dumpty ate one and all.
All of the doctors and medical staff,
Looked at his belly and had a good laugh.

I’ve officially entered the seventieth chapter of my “Fat Revolution” crusade, questioning the lost and disastrous moments spent at the local drive thru.  My dieting antics have resembled those of an inflatable balloon – expanding and contracting.  As a self-diagnosed emotional-eating-expert, I have discovered that recent events have encouraged my expanding talents to overpower my ability to lose weight.  In fact, every bit of distasteful news induces gloominess, and a trip to the kitchen is almost inevitable.

There are people who are depressed and do not know how to deal with their feelings and mood swings. One way is to feed their emotions with food in response to this gloominess; it is a far more serious problem when depression and eating turn into a cycle.

Overeating becomes a drug – it can help one escape, but it only pushes the individual further into depression. One might feel guilt and shame after binge eating, and like a drug, overeating serves as a temporary solution. But as soon as the binge is over, problems are far worse and the individual is drained of energy. Unable to control one’s own emotions, food enters the equation as a substitute, helping to soothe those gloomy emotions.

I promised myself that my blog would not revolve around the economic turmoil in Cyprus; I think we have all exhausted the topic.  But, unfortunately, the problems have not subsided, and a solution to the drama has not yet been implemented.  The Cypriot nation was dealt with a heavy blow of austerity measures, and the government’s attitude to releasing more restrictions (on a daily basis), does not permit one to return to some normality.  Every day leaves a bitter taste of uneasiness, as we return to our homes imploring for a glimmer of hope to jumpstart the nation and its distorted banking sector, back to the starting line.

Unpaid salaries have also brought on the blues, as I try to maintain a balance of motivation and optimism, particularly for my wife and son.  It’s extremely unsettling trying to enforce a safety net, when there is none. 
As the evening transpires, my excessive eating habits remain trapped within the digestive process, radically transforming into a large tub of lard.  And, as I persevered through the channels on my television, I stumbled upon the Cartoon Network, identifying my reflection in the cartoon version of Humpty Dumpty.  My downheartedness reminded me that no one was able to revive poor Humpty Dumpty back to his former condition. 

At the end of every episode, there is a cliffhanger which keeps the viewer in anticipation for one week.  I’m aware that my journey will certainly hold longer than that, but I’ve promised myself that the new season will introduce a happier and redefined version, proving to all the Humpty Dumpty’s out there that even popular nursery rhymes necessitate a happy sequel.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment