Thursday 20 June 2013

DAYS 140 – 141: Empty Space

For the past two days, my son has found sanctuary at his grandparents’ home; the holiday season inspires a brief getaway to a home, oblivious of the ‘stringent’ rules enforced by his parents.

Despite the typical growing pains, my home is a place of refuge after an intense day of work; a warm greeting by my spouse as I enter through the kitchen door, and a delayed acknowledgement from a son who finds two seconds to address his father, pausing between levels on his Playstation game.

Last night, I observed a quieter, more reserved climate within the home.  My wife and I went about our chores following a typical routine, working towards our scheduled 9pm appointment, and collapsing in the living room before a monotonous lineup of repeat shows.
It’s ironic how every satellite channel airs new episodes when it’s least convenient to watch, but when one finds the time, Honey Boo Boo and her repugnant family are slopping up a macaroni and mayonnaise dish with their grubby-based hands.

As an overweight individual, I have often professed that boredom inspires a wave of binge-eating.  Honey Boo Boo’s family had the opposite effect, and I found myself retiring early on an empty stomach.  The grumbling noise implied that a chocolate bar would be the perfect candidate for a midnight snack, but I opted for a glass of milk and a session of E! News on my tablet; the untimely death of Sopranos star James Gandolfini ended my evening on a sad note.

James Gandolfini was best known for his Emmy-winning portrayal of New Jersey mob boss Tony Soprano in the television series The Sopranos.
Although no cause of death has been given, unconfirmed reports have suggested a heart attack or stroke. Sopranos creator David Chase said Gandolfini was one of the greatest actors of all time.

As I bid farewell to an accredited actor, I drifted into an uninterrupted sleep and met up with a plethora of friends, and a bizarre message from a departed family member who reassured me that “everything was going to be ok.”

I called my son this morning, only to be greeted by a colloquial verse of street lingo. There was a light at then end of the tunnel – reassured by my son that tonight he was coming home. The emptiness had mysteriously disappeared.

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com


No comments:

Post a Comment