Friday 14 June 2013

DAY 135: Clark Kent Returns

The much anticipated Superman flick graces our silver screens today.  Needless to say, I am eager to ‘meet’ our new hero, Henry Cavill, who reprises the role of the legendary Christopher Reeve. 

Cleverly branded as the “Man of Steel,” the new Superman movie gives flight to a contemporary hero, supported by a wealth of flawless visual and high definition sound effects – destined to meet the standards of a twenty-first century superhero epic.

It was in the late seventies though, in South Africa, when I first caught a glimpse of the iconic Superman, endorsing a can of Pepsi.  Almost every item flirting the identifiable “S” logo, featured prominently in my world; from nutritional products to stationery and clothing, ‘Superman’ ensured that if I supported whatever he recommended, the end-result would secure my immortality.
But, in 1983, when Richard Pryor revealed to the world that Superman himself had an Achilles’ heel,  my perception of the “Man of Steel” somewhat changed as I began to support the likes of other superheroes. 

Needless to say, my obsession for the man with the cape returned shortly after I received a box set of Betamax videotapes, together with a poster of Clark Kent/Superman undressing, and taking flight from a Metropolis phone booth.  Complete with my custom-made Superman outfit  (my monstrous size was not catered for by the toy company and grandmother was forced to sew a homemade version of Clark Kent’s alter ego),and my red Wellingtons, I challenged my sister to intolerable, ongoing battles, envisaging her as the notorious supervillain Lex Luthor.

And so, as the Superman image manifested itself over the years within my subconscious, representing every childlike fantasy and hope for the future, I emerged into society as an obsessive follower of the superhero cult.  Thanks to the miracle of modern science, our fantasies are somehow brought to life through the epics which beam onto our screens. 

As an avid supporter of Henry Cavill’s work, I am overwhelmed with the thought that the legendary Christopher Reeve will undoubtedly be represented by an actor who does justice to a challenging role.  The box office will certainly reveal the success of this new adaptation, but I am confident that Cavill will secure the foundation for the Superman franchise of the modern era.

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,

visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment