Monday 17 June 2013

DAYS 136 - 138: The Power of Film

Being a parent is one of the most challenging professions in the world. As a child growing up under the stringent umbrella of an authoritarian father and paranoid mother, I would often pledge that when I had children of my own, I would me more tolerant and show a greater understanding towards their needs. 
But, when one has to deal with a new breed of offspring who are far more advanced (mentally) – yet inexperienced (streetwise), the challenge mushrooms into a devastating tsunami.

And so, it all began on a typical Saturday afternoon, when my thirteen-year-old son pleaded persistently to be granted ‘independence’ from the womb; an evening of progressive ‘parties’  had been planned to mark the end of another school year.  As I insisted on a full programme of events, together with an endless list of contact telephone numbers, I submitted unenthusiastically to his cries of liberation.   

I’ve often succumbed to my son’s requests for “movie nights,” ten-pin bowling or an outing at the video arcade, but the thought of him wandering the streets with a rebellious group of friends, especially with their "Hakuna Matata" or “go-with-the-flow” attitude, somewhat frightened me.
One might argue the unhealthiness of this hold over my son, but my subconscious mind constantly steers towards movies of abduction, peer pressure and human-trafficking. Despite my wife’s repeated reassurance that “Cyprus is a safe haven,” my concerns cannot be ignored.

Saturday transpired to Sunday, and my mind continuously recalled scenes from Hollywood blockbusters; the abduction of Liam Neeson’s ‘daughter’ to be used as a sex slave in the movie “Taken,” the kidnapping of Mel Gibson’s ‘son’ in “Ransom,” and the sentencing of four friends to an upstate New York detention facility for boys after pulling a prank on a hot dog vendor (Sleepers).

As we drove to the agreed meeting place, I inundated my son with as many rules and regulations I could think of. I worked my way through the worst case scenarios, hoping that our minds would miraculously interlock; his ignorant body actions revealed that nothing was going to prevent him from having fun with his friends.
Slowly diminishing in size, my son blended into the growing crowds of people walking the promenade; I turned to my wife for reassurance – a sign of acknowledgement that I had managed to finally cut the cord.  
Her oblivious nature saw her contemplating between the local Starbucks or another unknown establishment for a refreshing cup of iced coffee.

It finally dawned on me. I had become a carbon copy of my parents, drowning in paranoia and overpowered by an obsession of “not letting go.”  And, as creative as I would like to classify my mind’s genre, I owe it all to the “Power of Film.” 

Weight for me soon. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment