Tuesday 11 June 2013

DAY 132: Renaissance

After a brief absence from the social circuit, I’ve rejoined the blogging world feeling revived and optimistic.  One could easily attribute my joyful renaissance phase to a sensational cruise around some exotic island or a theatre-break to London (my favourite city), but the reasons for my sudden burst of contentment are simple…

Almost two weeks ago, my stress levels had peaked high on my own Richter scale; the current economic climate in Cyprus, the decaying banking sector, the overall depression of the workforce, a twenty-five percent reduction in salaries, and my escalating weight had all contributed to this downfall.  For the first time in months, I found myself dealing with all the negative forces which had empowered my body since the start of my blog.

The Three Tenors decided to increase their visits, constantly humming tunes of overeating on a daily basis.  Hansel and Gretel were consuming an ‘Aladdin’s den’ of chocolates and sweets, and for the first time, I sensed the emergence of another beast trapped within my body. 
This ravenous monster was ignoring all the principles of healthy eating, demanding platters of eclairs and truffles from the bakery, and a family-sized pizza from the local trattoria as a mid-afternoon snack.

On a typical Sunday, after spending an uncontrollable amount of time on the internet, the angels finally intervened – using their powerful wizardry to exterminate the temptations of the intruders within.  A miraculous armour was placed over my body to shield me from the battle of the bulge; I felt an inner strength – a willpower, to fight the enemy and end this four-decade war. 

As I stood before the mirror, pledging my allegiance to a healthier-self, I encountered new feelings of motivation and determination.  Admittedly, I overlooked my wife binging on a walnut brownie drowning in chocolate sauce; my son confined himself to the corner of the living room, sipping an iced frappe as he worked his way around a plate of vanilla ice cream and waffle.

I worked my way through these temptations, heading off to the study to sign my protest; a healthy eating programme was born combined with a stringent, passive exercise routine.  And, for once in my life, I adhered to the oath: “Monday is the start of a new week, and my own renaissance.”

It’s been two weeks (almost) since my rebirth; ten kilos lighter and two astounding opportunities are knocking on my door.  I am beaming with excitement, eager to reveal my one-in-a-million chance to fame, but, I am compelled to save the best for last. 
Here’s to keeping positive, and believing in the principle that “like attracts like.”

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com


No comments:

Post a Comment