Tuesday 6 August 2013

DAYS 176 – 187: The Return of Paul Lambis

I find myself apologising for my spur-of-the-moment absence from blogging, but, when the network beckons for a television shoot, one literally deserts everything.

August is supposedly an Hakuna Matata month; most of my colleagues have abandoned ship, securing a spot by the beach.  Despite the disadvantages of long hours of sun therapy, one is determined to acquire an all-even coat – an envious tan that boasts rejuvenation and relaxation. 

But, when the producers of my upcoming television series suggested shooting the pilot episode on the cusp of the summer holidays, a group of talented actors found themselves in a beautiful rural setting, absorbing fountains of mineral water under the scorching sun. Admittedly, I found myself abstaining from the buffet of pastries set aside for the cast, and savoured bowls of delicious salads and grilled kebabs. 
Trying to impress my on-screen wife, who, regrettably is a quarter of my size, our first day behind the cameras proved to be an ice-breaker; cuddling under a heavy blanket, dancing on the beach, and romancing in the kitchen and living room allowed us to become overly-acquainted. The next few days of shooting were as comfortable for the rest of the cast, as much as they were for me. I found myself laughing again, enjoying the time with this newly-found family.

I observed an impulsive boost of positive energy.  Time was no longer an enemy, and despite the extreme nature of the sun, I was determined to portray my role of the frustrated, weighty husband to the best of my ability.  The outcome of this new marriage between cast and crew has “success” written all over it.  I am almost certain that the audience will be drawn to our magnetism as soon as the show airs this October.

Behind the curtain, my experience has injected a river of creativity within me. My mind has suddenly focused on a new production which will be performed in theatres throughout Europe from February 2014.  Based on actual events, I have decided to write a play which centres around the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus in 1974.  Titled simply, “74,” I am feverishly researching testimonies of people who experienced undescribable tragedy and loss during the invasion.  Their chilling accounts have encouraged me to step forward and act as a voice (on their behalf), against their oppression.

On a final note, “The Paul Lambis Comedy Shows” will return to Cyprus this November with a different outlook on comedy.  The show will include Improvisational Theatre, and most  of what is performed will be created on the spur-of-the-moment. In its purest form, the dialogue, the action, the story and the characters will be created collaboratively by the players and the audience as the improvisation unfolds.

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment