Monday 19 August 2013

DAYS 196 – 200: Cyprus has Talent

I’ve managed to clock two hundred days on the fat-revolution-ometer  but I’m not prepared to disclose any results at the moment.  It’s been a trying summer, and the heat has lured me towards the refrigerator in search of a refreshing sweet or a bubbling, thirst-quenching soda.  After I’ve replenished my insatiable needs, I plunge into the pool for an intense session of laps, eager to burn those unwanted calories.

A workout in the water leaves one feeling cool and revived, but the neighbour’s barbecue awakens the senses and the entire process is repeated as an ongoing game of cat-and-mouse.  This contrived action involving my constant pursuit of near weight-loss, and repeated excuses of dieting has left me feeling hopeless.  Should I consider failure as a result of two hundred days, or 4,800 hours of torturous dieting?

A hypnotherapist friend suggested that keeping oneself occupied with projects would absorb most of my time, but the sweltering Mediterranean heat has this nasty habit of reprising the role of the Sahara – the world’s hottest desert.  And if anyone opts for the aircon remote, the staggering electricity bill at the end of the month responds as a poisonous snake, biting through the pocket, wounding all the senses.

Thankfully, I survived the heatwave and managed to finalise one of my projects, which had me working feverishly into the night for the past three months.  With research concluded, and the vote of confidence from a supportive team of historians, proof-readers, producers and media experts, I bowed to the social media sites to help promote my forthcoming play “74” – a riveting war drama which centres on the lives of three courageous women, and their stories, following the devastating 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus.  

After a passive round of  marketing, I was overwhelmed by the response of Cypriot actors inquiring about the auditions for “74”.  The encouraging response served as a reward for the enduring months of research.  More so, it came as a sign that all those who suffered and perished in the Cypriot conflict, were about to be honoured by an esteemed group of Cypriot talent that the island of Cyprus, and possibly the world, was about to see.

I am particularly honoured to be surrounded by such unique talent.  I have often said that Cyprus is an island of many hidden treasures.  From a cultural heritage site, to a religious and mythological phenomenon, Cyprus is a hidden gem with so much ‘wealth’ to offer; it’s no wonder we have been the site of envy for thousands of years.

With a plethora of actors to choose from, the decision will not be easy.  After all, how can one differentiate between the best and the finest?  Nevertheless, decisions have to be narrowed down to the three actresses and four actors who will portray poignant figures in the history of Cyprus. And if talent is anything to go by, “74” is destined to be staged before selective international theatre festivals in 2014. And so it begins…

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com


No comments:

Post a Comment