Thursday 22 August 2013

DAYS 201 – 203: Toned Bodies, and Summer Snapshots

Almost every magazine I look at these days spurts out a herd of photos with contented people, flaunting their bodies in a soiree of colourful, yet skimpy bikinis or figure-hugging swim trunks.
The titles above these pages suggest some sort of joyful escapade, provoking emotions of envy and low self-esteem.  Although I pretend to overlook these ‘distasteful’ images of happiness, I find myself rewinding back to the beginning of the magazine, analysing each pose and smile, while my subconscious is screaming for me to remove my tardy behind off the couch and head outside for a five kilometre run. Stat.

My publicist is an avid health-freak.  I am inspired by her willingness to adhere to a sensible health routine and her stringent laws for healthy eating, but I’m finding it difficult to be motivated by a sesame snack that mollifies my hunger pains for five minutes, and leaves me tooth-picking my teeth of sesame seeds, trapped between my dentures, for the next thirty minutes.
But the group of people in the magazine, posing confidently near some beach bar with their hands raised jubilantly in the air, presumably overlook the half-an-hour sesame seed flossing session, as they prioritise well being and fitness over a double-decker cheese and bacon burger.
The result, of course, is a photo opportunity in one of the colourful lifestyle magazines, dotted around the island – available at every corner kiosk.  Their rise to fame is relied solely on their motivation to be idolised by us common folk who worship their bodies as if they were gods.

A recent survey suggests that our bikini and swim trunk models are suffering from a huge lack of self-esteem, with only one percent believing they are beautiful.  I’ve often believed that beauty is skin-deep, but unfortunately in my case, one would have to plough through a mountain of blubbery layers to discover it. And, in order to conceal my unsightly folds of flab, I am compelled to order my “custom-designed swimsuit” from an American website that caters for the “extra-large individuals” of this world.

So, I’ve narrowed it down to two options: first, if I adhere to my publicist’s rigorous nutritional programme, I will end up posing with the other demigods in next summer’s lifestyle magazines, or second, to continue on the path of burger-eating unrighteousness and keep ordering a larger-sized swim trunk with every season.
More than likely, I would have to refrain from the latter, and pre-warn my senses that an apple for my mid-morning snack is the only option available.  And since I’m on this protest path, I’m warning all those toned bodies in this year’s summer snapshots, that they’d better make room for me.

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com


No comments:

Post a Comment