Thursday 25 July 2013

DAYS 174 – 175: Put your foot down

My morning ritual of “cereal before the telly” was welcomed by another wave of melancholia.  The turbulent tone of the newsreader reminded me of an unexpected terrorist attack; as my part of the world drifted off into the night, the rest of the world was greeted with another series of devastating events involving floods, earthquakes, derailed trains, sexual abuse, and a looming war that most nations are eager to encourage.

I’ve often felt that as mere mortals, the gods seem to be moving us around as chess pieces in an nerve-racking game of “Intimidation”.  Depressing news alters my emotional status and encourages an outburst  in the kitchen, whereas a bout of joyful updates arouse motivation . 
After fifteen minutes of disastrous reports, I feel that I have spent the first part of my morning reading through the obituaries of the local newspaper.  I subconsciously close the door behind me and spend the next few minutes feeling anxious about the day.

As I drive down to my office, I am oblivious to the exceptional view of the Mediterranean coast.  The “glass-half-empty” attitude has overpowered my mind, and I find myself searching for all the negative aspects of my hometown: a plethora of shops have closed down due to the economic virus which has gripped the island of Cyprus, unemployment is at an all time high, people have lost their ability to smile, the government is on the warpath to expose the fraudulent activity of the ruthless, a child is knocking on my window asking for a small donation, and the radio has Sinatra singing, “And now, the end is near. And so I face the final curtain…”

It’s time to put my foot down.  Thankfully, my eating habits have mellowed since my last binging episode.  The weekend saw me consuming a large slice of carrot cake as I tried to convince myself of the benefits to eating a vegetable-based treat. 
I was delighted to touch base with a wonderful individual who re-directed my impure eating habits to a healthier buffet of wheat-free products. This expiremental phase of natural foods has detoxed my body to the extent that an adult diaper has been placed under my buns in the event of any mishap.

As I begin my protest of abstinence from any news network, I will be leaning towards the music channels to satisfy my morning’s entertainment.  I am currently rehearsing for an upcoming television series for one of the local networks and I am determined to deliver a promising performance.  Keeping positive will certainly play its part.

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment