Friday 19 July 2013

DAYS 166 – 169: London Heat

Temperatures are soaring;  England’s Queen Elizabeth keeps cool in a wide-brimmed bonnet as she sets off to meet England's Ashes cricket team at Lords.  Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg reveals he has stopped wearing shoes (and socks) in his government office to prevent his feet from overheating, Kate Middleton is encouraged to eat curry to kick-start labour, a Royal Guard sweats in the heat outside St James' Palace in central London, and a hungry horse orders an ice-cream at the Dovey Estuary in Mid-Wales.

Enduring a lengthy summer is a prerequisite for most Southern Europeans; the temperature in Cyprus seldom sways from the thirty-nine degree mark as I justify the pool of water on my t-shirt when talking to the bank manager.  If Cyprus was a crime-stricken country, I would certainly fit the profile of a neurotic bank robber.
And, having three people trapped in my mammoth-sized figure inspires me to find refuge in an air-conditioned office as I sip on my frozen yoghurt and stare at the sluggish pace of the office clock.

Reverting to my favourite city, London is often referred to by my wife as an “exciting city with the worst luck in weather.”
“If the weather were different, and if London had the sea, I would move there at the skip of a heartbeat.”
The gods are certainly smiling upon me now, as I enter phase two of my relocation programme; the extended British summer has yielded me towards the south coast, to a city called Brighton.
My presentation would have to include the benefits of living in this idyllic part of the world; a movie titled ‘Wimbledon’ will certainly convince my spouse to at least consider this seaside resort, and with London being less than an hour away by train, I may have found the winning formula.

My diet seems to be under control these days, although I am seriously considering an outburst over the weekend.  An overpowering Greek family chomping on a pecan nut waffle with vanilla ice cream (on Sunday at my mother’s house) definitely trumps my low-fat rice pudding with its pitiful ‘dust’ of cinnamon. 
But the summer heat has an adverse effect on my dietary intake.  Most ‘normal’ people are inclined to limit their heavy meals this time of year, and one often observes the masses flaunting their water bottles as “the essential accessory.”  I am inclined to spoil The Three Tenors, the uncontrollable trio hiding within my body, with a generous helping of Spaghetti Napoletana.  A side-serving of toasted Greek bread, drizzled with a copious marriage of olive oil and dry oregano; a glass of red wine and an extended session of “siesta on the couch.”

As Londoners continue to bask in the glorious sunshine, removing their shoes and socks as they cool off in one of the city’s luscious parks, perhaps Kate Middleton would consider the troop of photographers, absorbing the scorching rays while gathered outside St Mary’s hospital, and finally take a bite of that blessed chicken curry – then everyone could finally go home.

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com


No comments:

Post a Comment