Tuesday 9 July 2013

DAY 159: Aftermath

Trying to recover after a short break of intense sun therapy is virtually impossible.  The sun’s rays beaming down on your lotion-capped body while sipping on an iced cold coffee; the soothing sound of the waves embracing the golden coastline…

A therapist friend once mentioned that it takes twenty-one days to break a habit.  After four dreamlike days at Cyprus’ most popular seaside mecca, the thought of merging back to reality seems unimanageable.  It appears that my body has lost itself in a labyrinth of relaxation, and every corner of this maze reminds me of a habit that needs to be encouraged.

My “holiday hangover” seems to overpower the work force; my colleagues are preparing to escape the office environment – hoping to find the same solace under the blazing Mediterranean sun. 
There’s an element of excitement as we all share similar sentiments of relaxation; I’m yearning for an afternoon by the swimming pool while my wife prepares a light dinner accompanied by a colourful cocktail of Vodka and lime.  The sun begins to set as we marvel at the diminishing ball of fire over the horizon; the evening has suddenly entered the equation as we prepare for another exhausting eight hours of humidity and mosquito nets.

I braved another morning on the bathroom scale, hoping to assess the aftermath from a holiday of limitless calories.  As expected, the scale spun uncontrollably screaming, “Game Over!” as it returned to the starting line. 
My sudden weight gain was predictable; mornings absorbed near a buffet of eggs, bacon, sausages and fried mushrooms.  A centre table presenting an assortment of cold meats and cheeses from every corner of the globe.  A sea of pastries combing the walls of the breakfast room, teasing us with their strawberry and custard cries.

As I squatted my way from the breakfast room to the sunbed, I encouraged myself to refrain from a heavy lunch.  But, the aromas emerging from the grill bar awakened my senses to chicken wings with barbeque sauce. 
The afternoon saw me sipping onto a mocca-flavoured shake with crushed ice, as the waters of the jacuzzi gently caressed my back.

My offensive scale reading informed me that the holiday was officially over.  The mind was served with another sharp reminder that the aftermath of my brief summer vacation had serious repurcussions:  I’m going to be standing in front of the camera soon – and the camera has a nasty habit of making one look larger than an elephant.

It’s rice cakes and apples for one week.  Perhaps I will postpone this treatment until tomorrow; my wife has just informed me that crumbed chicken with sesame seeds is on the menu for tonight’s dinner. 

Weight for me soon. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,

visit www.paul-lambis.com

1 comment: