Thursday 30 May 2013

DAY 122: Motivation

I’m finding it difficult to focus at work.  The summer sun, beaming through my office window, seduces my emotions; I’m seriously considering an afternoon at the beach, sipping a refreshing glass of Frappe as I marvel at the magnificent Mediterranean sunset. 

But, reality keeps knocking on my door, and the twinkling sound emerging from my computer serves as a reminder that another humdrum meeting is about to start. I feel I have exhausted this monotonous work routine, as I find myself pleading to the Almighty for divine intervention.  Last night’s episode of “How the Lottery changed my life” is relentlessly teasing me – an image of a children’s playground enters my mind as I picture myself brutally forced into a corner by a group of egotistical bullies.

As we enter the third month since the infamous Cyprus Bailout, I find myself sitting behind my desk, arms crossed, and without any explanation on the reduction of our salaries; one can’t help but wonder if higher management attended any human resources seminar on “How to communicate and motivate staff under dire economic conditions.” 
This unexpected muteness does nothing to encourage the workforce, and the level of productivity finds itself tagging behind like a bored child in a supermarket.
I’m even considering a drastic exit – similar to Shirley Valentine’s epic departure from her dismal life in England, to a private beach where life’s problems are barred from entry.  Shirley’s quest to “fall in love with life” is perhaps something we are all lacking at the moment.  Amidst the hustle and bustle of this bamboozling world, we have lost the meaning of living life to the full, and even forgetting to laugh along the way.

After an episode of self-pity, I resorted to watching Susan Boyle’s first audition on Britain’s Got Talent.  Boyle’s audition has always served as an inspiration to those aspiring few who believe in miracles.  Admittedly, I am one of them.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,

visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment