Monday 27 May 2013

DAY 119: Calories and Mathematics

I am certain that most of you will recall moments of boredom, staring obliviously into space while the Mathematics teacher went on about proving an irrelevant theorem. 
And, no matter how passionate the teachers seemed as they scuffled from one side of the blackboard to the other – solving another of the many equations from your stuffy textbook, the mind would often console your disinterest, reassuring that one would never require any future-use of this trivial subject.

But, alas, the weekend saw me in front of the computer, arguing with an online calorie counter.  As I tallied up my meals on the calculator, I realised that my sudden weight increase was largely due to an oversight of calories, invading my monstrous body. 
Having ignorantly increased my recommended daily allowance to an offensive score, it was time for a reality check as I lost myself in an article explaining the relevance of ‘calculating’ your meals.  My BMI (Body Mass Index) screamed “morbidly obese” on the scale, encouraging the online nutritionist to contact me for some overall advice.

It suddenly dawned on me that ‘eating’, my favourite pastime, had become a complicated mathematical equation – one I needed to resolve immediately.  If only I had paid more attention in Mathematics class.

After a three-hour session, and a crash course on “sensible eating,” my online web therapist formulated a healthy eating programme – “guaranteed to offer instant results.”  Armed with a calculator on-hand, I embarked on a ten-day challenge to re-address my stance against calories, and mathematics.  According to the nutritionist, a ten-day detox will “reset the clock,” and steer me in the right direction for a long-term, healthy eating plan.

So, it’s back to the drawing board with a reduced one thousand calories-per-day allowance, high protein, low carbohydrate eating plan; with any luck, I should be able to fit into my swimming trunks before resorting to Plan B: a visit to the tailors, and enough cotton to loosen those shorts at the seam.  Wish me Luck.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,

visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment