Wednesday 22 May 2013

DAY 114: Memory Lane

I’ve managed to reconnect with many of my ‘old’ friends through Facebook.  Social media has become a powerful force in our lives; my daily visits have become a subconscious habit, as I surf the net – observing…
One might argue that Facebook is an “invasion of privacy,” but when used sensibly to connect with friends and family, this cost-effective tool certainly wins my vote.

I decided to pinch a few minutes from my chaotic schedule, eager to soothe my mind from the longwinded monotony of the morning’s meetings. 
Surfing through the ‘posts’, a dated image of Johannesburg caught my attention.  The photograph, titled “Fontana Centre,” transported me back to my beautiful Johannesburg where I spent the first part of my university years.
In fact, one of my father’s first jobs in South Africa was working behind the counter at Fontana.  My father would often recount his wild escapades with his friends after his evening shift was over. 
Most South Africans who lived in Hillbrow (an inner-city residential neighbourhood of Johannesburg) will remember Fontana for their late-night shopping and their mouthwatering rotisserie chickens.

In the late nineties, the “City of Gold” had evolved into the ultimate shopping and nightclubbing mecca; quality department stores lined the clean and safe streets, bustling with cafes, restaurants and discotheques.  We would often drive through those boulevards with our friends – the techno sounds of yesteryear blaring boldly from the speakers of our jalopies; windows rolled down to flaunt the macho look of the decade.

I was delighted to reconcile with one of my closest friends earlier, having noticed the announcement of the birth of her second child on Facebook.   It was the first time since my departure from South Africa (more than a decade ago), that we had managed to chat on the phone.  It took her a while to recognise my voice, but as soon as the formalities were over, it was an invigorating experience to travel down memory lane with her and recall those fond moments from our wonder years. 
Amidst my hectic programme, I was able to recharge my batteries and face the challenges of the day.

Networking with people from different circles is an important part of our lives, and the social networking sites available today, make this interaction even easier. Almost everyone uses these sites to obtain various positive outcomes, like staying connected with peers, trips down memory lane, and even online marketing. Whichever way you look at it, social media has certainly transformed the way.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul

Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts. 
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online,
visit www.paul-lambis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment