Wednesday 30 January 2013

DAY 3: Breaking Habit

One of the most frequently used lines in a medical television drama is: “The next forty-eight hours are crucial…”  These words are often delivered by a doctor who is consoling a weeping spouse, sibling or relative over a patient who has undergone a serious operation. In the same light, the first two days are the most important in any dieter’s programme.  If you’ve managed to overcome these two infuriating time periods, then you’re on the right track.  My problem though, is that there are another 363 hurdles positioned before me, and the finishing line seems to be engulfed by a deep, low-lying mist.

It’s important to set small goals so that you don’t wander off in another direction and land up at the local Friday’s.  I’m trying to ignore the recent text message beaming brightly on my phone, offering me a twenty percent discount on any meal at this popular burger joint. 
A close friend once mentioned that the average person needs twenty-one days to break a habit, making this my first realistic deadline.

I am in high spirits this morning as I have not faulted on my diet.  Despite the constant temptations which are forever surrounding me, I am determined to make this my year.  “Mind over matter,” they say, although my work colleague (who is following my blog) seems to have taken the hint and worn a darker colour to work.  Thankfully, it’s not pink, but an inviting brown colour – almost like chocolate.  “No! Your work colleague is not food Paul; she is a human being, just like you.”

I’ve started to rely more on my protein shakes today, so this is good news. I’ve decided to use my graphic design skills and apply a photo of my face to a body of a well-known celebrity.  I’m not mentioning his name at the moment as it might throw you off-track, but I am hoping to cross the finish line looking like him.  I will refer to this image as an incentive – whenever I need a boost. It takes hard work and determination, so I’ve added my first set of sit-ups to my programme this evening. 

The three voices within me are quiet today. They haven’t said a word.  Perhaps they’ve realised that I am finally serious and their time is limited.  Time will tell.

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul


Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online, visit www.paul-lambis.com

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback and for supporting the blog.

      Delete
  2. Paul, after reading your blog I have to tell you this little anecdote. My husband was teaching a new little swimming pupil who was about 4 years old. He had the little boy kicking on his back while supporting him under his head and shoulders. The little boy's bottom was sinking so he told him "stoot jou magie op sodat jou naeltjie uit die water is. The little boy pushed his tummy up, looked down to check that he could indeed see his belly button, and then suddenly popped up as a thought occurred to him. "Oom Edwin, weet jy wat?" he lisped, with an earnest look on his face. "My pa the penth ith thoo groot, hy hang reg oor hom dingle" And satisfied with having shared that little gem of information he popped back onto his back and resumed the swimming lesson. Kids say the darndest things! So it's become something of a family saying. Over indulgence will evoke the warning "Oppas, want voor jy weet hang jou pens oor jou dingle. Well, dingle or crown jewels, I hope you make a sighting soon. Best of luck!

    Annelie Meiring Roux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annelie. Appreciate the photos sent to my Facebook page. You made my day.

      Delete
  3. Go Paul!!! All the best for taking on such a challenge! You inspire me!

    Eleni Demosthenous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some inspiration for us all.

    Andri Correia

    ReplyDelete