Monday 28 January 2013

DAY 1: Monday Blues

I've decided to take control of my body.  I was thinking of the late Princess Diana who described her marriage as "overcrowded," and that's exactly how I feel.  For the past five years, it seems as though three people have been trapped into this abyss I call "Paul."  I have been trying to please all my 'guests'; grilled cheese burgers from McDonalds, a Dr Pepper from the local kiosk, and often a slice of carrot cake which justifies my vegetable intake.

I won’t disclose my starting weight at the moment.  Proper etiquette dictates that you should never ask a woman her age, so don’t ask a fat person his/her weight.  Truth is, I stood on the scale this morning and realised that it would take me a while to ‘digest’ the scale reading – I wouldn’t want to shock you on our first date.  After all, first impressions are the most important.

I drove to the local Starbucks this morning and purchased myself a flask, screaming out the coffee shop’s label.  From a psychological point-of-view, I am thinking that my diet shakes in this flask will trick my mind to thinking that it’s having a cup of White Chocolate.  As I sat on the couch savouring the smell of freshly brewed coffee, a heavy burst of rain made its appearance outside, echoing some sort of rebirth.  It was a wonderful feeling, although I could hear the voice of one of the prisoners inside me screaming, “Look at the round coffee table, it looks like a large, cheesy pizza with an anchovy topping.”

It’s almost the end of the first month of 2013, and I still have three days to go before I finalise my resolutions. One thing’s for sure – it’s the first day of a new beginning and I will invite this new burst of energy to stay with me for the week.  I am hoping that the mood will hold for the rest of the day, so I can blog successfully tomorrow that:

a)                 I was not tempted to eat carrot cake
b)                  My colleague at work sitting opposite me does not remind me of a strawberry milkshake
c)                  My fingers are not encouraging me to eat a double hot dog for lunch with enough ketchup to drown the sausages and leave its mark on my t-shirt
d)                  And that I told the three voices inside me to be prepared – it’s time to set them free.

This is the first day of the rest of my life.  I will not let the typical Monday Blues get the better of me.  I have just sent a message to all my unfriendly 'guests': “Monday is the perfect day to start your one-year diet!”

Weight for me tomorrow. Paul


Paul Lambis is the author of “Where is Home?” – A journey of hilarious contrasts.  
For more information on Paul Lambis, and to order his book online, visit www.paul-lambis.com

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Paul! I'm sure on post #365 you will be prouder and lighter ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christos. Will start posting the pics as soon as the confidence kicks in. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you all the patience in the world. I know you have the will power considering all the hurdles you have "jumped" and succeeded in your life. Whether it be weight or health remember always to keep a positive attitude and be focused on your main goal. TIP- dont dwell on what you cannot eat but on what you can !!! Healthy food with a little imagination and spice is a hundred times tastier than a double hotdog :)) All the best!!
    Elena Xenophontos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming from Lambis I just giggled giggled and then burst out laughing. Thankyou Paul Charalambous

    Penny Pothas

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny!!!!!

    Rita Berdanis

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely have the gift of the gab bro! xx

    Elena Kotsovos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Paul. You've inspired me to join in. I too have put on too much weight. Over winter too much chocolate, not enough exercise, general laziness have taken it's toll!
    Hope to see the new slimline Paul in April.
    Good luck my friend. Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul mou, I can't wait to continue reading your blogs. Not only are you an inspiration top all of us out there and not necessarily on diet issues but I also know that you will turn this issue around as well and 'laugh' back at it one day.......

    Mary Rigopoulou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary mou, glad you're following the blog. Hopefully I'll be laughing in one year's time. xx

      Delete